Monday, December 12, 2011

Slow Cookin' Chicken Curry


"I hope this is good cause its freaking easy....". 

Those are the words I heard when I walked in from the cold one recent December evening. Of course, I know Trisha is talking about tonight's meal, yet I'm still curious as to what exactly is so easy to cook yet complex enough to make Trish wonder if its any good. So, my senses keenly aware, I notice the crockpot out and a jar of salsa next to it and what looks to be another one of her Pampered Chef spices to the right of that. Having been married almost six years, I know Trisha's flavor profile pretty well and when she says "I Hope its good", that tells me she's cooking with a relatively unknown ingredient. As we continue doing this blog, one of my goals is to increase my ability to differentiate food groups and spice profiles by smell and flavor and all the other things that encompass a well rounded and educated food blogger. On this occasion, my rookie senses get humbled pretty quickly. I walk up to the crockpot and gently remove the lid to have my face engulfed in a robust aroma of chicken cooking with something those rookie senses don't yet pick up. I keep my eyes closed trying to quiz my senses, coming up with many guesses. I smell the chicken and salsa, the obvious aroma's yet I can sense a little heat from somewhere yet can't place the spice. As I finally give up, realizing I have a long way to go in my culinary experiences, I grab the spice bottle and see "Thai Red Curry Rub"

I've heard the word curry many times while watching the food network and shows like Master Chef, but truthfully I had no idea what it was. Here is the description right off the back of the bottle. 

An exotic blend of lime, lemongrass and garlic bring out the true flavors of traditional Thai. Add it to meat, poultry, seafood and Asian-inspired soups, noodles and stir-fry.

Ingredients:
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
3/4 cup thinly sliced onion
1 thinly sliced sweet red pepper
1 cup salsa
1 tbsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cloves garlic
2 cups fresh green beans trimmed
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups uncooked instant rice



Cooking Instructions:

1.Place thawed chicken, onion, and red pepper in the slow cooker.  Combine salsa, curry powder, salt, pepper, and  garlic in a bowl.  Pour over top of the chicken mixture.
   
2.Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until the chicken is tender.  Stir in green beans.  Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker.  Cover and cook on high for about 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened and green beans are soft but crispy.

3.Bring chicken broth to a boil, in a large sauce[an; stir in rice.  Cover, remove from heat.  Let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.  Fluff with a fork.  Serve with chicken and sauce.



As for the meal itself, it was packed with tons of flavor and what made it so appealing is that besides being easy to make, this meal is a really healthy meal. Having that in mind, I decided to make it less healthy and go back for another half serving. What? You make this meal and if you can tell me you didn't go back for at least another bite or two after you were done with the first helping, I'll make sure a statue will be erected in your honor. Personally, I just don't have the will power to say no to a little bit more of an amazing dish, and sadly, that is plainly obvious. :) Try it out though, and I bet you can't resist the temptation for seconds.

I will tell you what I told Trisha after I was done, sitting and relaxing with a cup of coffee. I told her there was no need to "hope it was good" because it was simply amazing that something so delightful could come out of a crockpot. Until Trisha made shredded Chicken Tacos from the crockpot (A delicious future post), I just thought crockpots were used for meatballs, chicken wings, and baked beans. I didn't think a restaurant quality meal could come out of a slow cooker ready to serve over a simple bed of white rice. I was obviously wrong. This meal is so very simple and delicious you have to try it.  I just Hope you do it sooner rather than later because you will have a meal you will be cooking regularly all winter. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment